Note: Not updated since the first ICC wing.
After a little thought and some chats with a lovely hunter in my guild, I started thinking about a gear list. Not wanting to take items off another player that I probably won’t use so I gave it a go and I’ve been slowly editing it and will continue to do so. It’s important to remember that the T9 2 set, which grants your Serpent Sting the ability to crit, remains better than the T10 4 set, and even some item drops in Icecrown Citadel with awesome starts (I thank Rilgon for finding this out). Some items are still not in the game, so I may update this post at a later date if I find something new to add.
Assuming you have 3 points in Focused Aim, you’ll need to get about 165 hit rating (5%, though correct me if I’m wrong) from gear. Of course, if you don’t and want to find more hit items, you can check the MMO Champion Icecrown gear list. The set below should put you at about 5.24% hit and 68.7% armor pen, with the Scorpion proc giving 48.44% armor pen.
The armor pen cap is 1400, as as such with the Scorpion, you need about 722 armor pen on your gear. Haste may not be an ideal stat but it’s worth keeping Steady Shot at roughly a 1.5 second cast time (the tooltip is bugged, it’s a 2 second cast time without haste), and remember that 523 haste rating is the soft cap needed to lower Steady Shot down to the 1.5 second cast time. Also remember that there is no crit cap for hunters.
- Helm: Windrunner’s Headpiece of Triumph – 1 Trophy of the Crusade, 75 Emblem of Triumph, if you can get the heroic version, even better.
- Neck: Charge of the Eredar – TotGC, Lord Jaraxxus 25.
- Shoulders: Tier 10 – 60 Emblem of Frost.
- Cloak: Sylvanas’ Cunning / Cloak of Serrated Blades – TotGC Tribute Chest 50 tries remaining (first from 25, second 10).
Recovered Scarlet Onslaught Cape – 50 Emblem of Frost.
- Chest: Tier 10 – 95 Emblem of Frost.
- Wrist: Icecrown Rampart Bracers – Gunship 10.
- Hands: Logsplitters – 60 Emblem of Frost
- Waist: Nerub’ar Stalker’s Cord – Festergut 25.
- Legs: Windrunner’s Legguards of Triumph – 1 Trophy of the Crusade, 75 Emblem of Triumph, again, heroic version is better.
- Feet: Greaves of Ruthless Judgement – TotGC, Twin Valkyr 25.
- Rings: Ashen Band of Vengeance – Ashen Verdict Friendly, new rings at honoured, revered and exalted.
Band of Callous Aggression – TotGC, Faction Champions 25./Seal of the Twilight Queen – Queen Lana’thel 10.
- Trinkets: Deathbringer’s Will – Saurfang 25.
Mjolnir Runestone – Ulduar HC, Thorim 10.
Needle-Encrusted Scorpion – Forge of Souls HC, Devourer of Souls. (If you don’t have access to the Runestone, it has less uptime because the proc is from crits, not all damage)
- Ranged: Zod’s Repeating Longbow – Deathwhisper 25.
Death’s Head Crossbow from Lord Jaraxxus Heroic is looking to be the better choice for survival.
- Mainhand: Hellion Glaive – TotGC, Anub’arak 25.
Bloodfall – Queen Lana’thel.
Please remember this is my personal preference on gear, some options may not be optimal for everybody, this is purely my opinion, for my own marksman spec, survival may and probably will be different entirely due to not needing to reach the armor pen cap anywhere near as much as marksman hunters. Though feel free to look through and use it or take ideas from it. That is why I posted it 🙂 It is a post I intend to keep up-to-date over the coming months. Also, some items here you may not recognise as I’ve added the horde versions, if you click the wowhead link I’ve added you can see the alliance versions.
Last updated: 18th December 2009